FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
average hyper life
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

the freeze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: average hyper life Reply with quote

what is the average number of gallons you guys are getting out of these hyper motors I have about 2 and 1/2 out of mine and it is already ready for a rebuild that just sucks I run it a little lean in the mid range to get some extra bottom end punch out of it so it could be partyially my fault but still wow that sucks I run Byrons 30% too which is good gas
the freeze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
Wookiee528

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have heard about 3 gallons is about all you are going to get out of a Hyper 8 port engine, unless you don't race and you run it a littel rich. If you are runnig it on the lean side then you are doing pretty good to get 2.5 gallons on the engine.

-Jim
Excalibur

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 3 1/2 to 4 gallons on my 21 8p........all at the track...... practice/racing.... so it was running hard all of its life..... and that was with 30% odonell's.......

ya.... they are good for 3 gallons or so......
KingBasher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmon hyper 21 8 port is only 100 engine(EBAY)...3 gallons is about right.......i love mine, i pass the .26 & .28 up all day....the track is a bit short tho.
the freeze

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but a RB S72 runs about $220 and you get much better power band and more power andf it runs for about 6 to 9 gallons there is a guy at my track that suposidly has 14 gallons on his so where is the benefit although at $ 60 for a complete rebuild including conrod I guess it still isn't a bad deal but oh well I am just using mine for a practice motor now
KingBasher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea u get what you pay for
CH3NO2

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen if you tune the Hyper .21 8 port right and leave it, you get great power per $. Run it lean, put some dirt through it, and its as good as dead as any engine would be.

I just bough a used Hyper .21 8 port with the boost port for $50. It had only 5 tanks through it, and then the air cleaner come off during a race. Old mate thought it was done for being dusted for so many laps, but I performed my quick test to see if it was ok.

Test is, turn engine over till its right on Top Dead Center. Then leave it there for 20 to 30 seconds. Then gently rock it over TDC. If it flips, its still got to be good because it can hold compresion and it hasn't leaked past any wear or scoring in the piston or cylinder.

Having stripped the engine down I found a small dimple half a mil in the outer squish ban of the head, and the same size ding in the crown of the piston in the same place. This must have been from some gravel ingested when the air cleaner came off. And would you believe, no scoring whatsoever, everything else is mint. I'm almost robbing my mate.

My inpression of the Hyper .21 8 Port is it is value for money. The materials are pretty good too. As after modifying the crank I can tell you whatever grade steel is used is top stuff, it's rockwell hardness is as good as any high end motor I've seen and worked on. Also, the quality of the machining is as good as any other CNC work I've see as well in big $ reputation engines.

The only sus thing in the engine I would change is the forged con rod. It is the right basic shape, but has flashing dags hanging off the edges. I intend to grind and polish them off. I would like to see a billet conrod. But then again, I have never seen one go bang.

The piston is forged high silicon alloy judging by the grey flecking in it. This helps control the thermal expansion of the piston. Again, it does the job, and I've never seen one crack up. It looks just as good as some billet pistons I've seen.

From what I see, I think the reputation of the Hyper .21 comes from it being mostly an RTR car engine for first time buyers. And, being how people are, they don't take their time and read the instructions for running in and care and maintenance, and abuse the engine through lean running trying to get more power than they can drive with anyway. EG: The ability to buy exceeds the ability to drive.
john reed

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sons truck is a pirat sport rtr with a hyper 21 engine . it is the standard 4 port engine . it has around 8-9 gallons ran through it and still has as much compression as it had when it was new. it runs great every time we run it. it has had byrons 20% ran through it only.
speedtrash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudes my hyper .21 8 port has at least 20 gallons no bull, and still hauls balls! like a mofo. probally just as good as when i first took her to the track after her break-in.
MONitro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speed you got the best engine deal I have heard of. Im sure all of us on the forum have to know your breakin procedure. was the 20 a typo? come on now man tell us the truth!!!!

I got about 5 gal through my Hyper 8 port (Which I thought was great)
hybridom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 gallons......i think we need so witnesses.....evidence....... *cough...Bul____t..cough, cough*
Paradoxmaker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hybridom wrote:
20 gallons......i think we need so witnesses.....evidence....... *cough...Bul____t..cough, cough*

What's wrong with you Hybrid???? Can't you take a man for his word?

Tell me why you don't think a Rc engine can go 20 gal and still have all the power it had right after break in????
hybridom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmmm let me think about that....NO
Wookiee528

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't beleive that there is a Hyper .21 8 port out there that has gotten 20 gallons through it without a few piston, sleeve and crank changes as well as the rest of the internals and a few pinches in between. I might beleive 6 gallons if the engine was babied and ran slightly rich with 20% nitro 16% oil fuel.

-Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper Engines All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: