FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesP.M. Log inLog in
Ask a working class Pro
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Russjones42

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Ask a working class Pro Reply with quote

I'am starting this thread since OFNA pro's feel it is not worth there time to provide any public relations for the products that pay there bills.

This thread is for myself and anyone else who races in the expert class who runs a hyper 8 to help out and answer questions for anyone who has just purchased a hyper 8 pro or novice who may need setups, advice, help, or tips.

i know rob has been running the big bores on his car so if anyone has questions about those he will be the one to ask, i will run the stock shocks until the coleman versions come out so i can answer any stock shock questions.

i know our setups may not be as coveted as degani's, kortz, or coleman's but it will be a good starting point and i'am sure just a few adjustments away from theirs.
symbology

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for opening up this thread. I picked up my Hyper 8 last week, but I have not had tome to put it together much less run it yet. I can't wait though.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread and will post my questions when they come up.

BTW, what type of tracks do you run on? I will probably be running on SV Raceway (Home of the ' 06 Gas Champs) most of the time.

Thanks,

Allen

Last edited by symbology on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Wookiee528

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Symbology. There are many of us on here that live not too far from SVMS. I have been there a couple of times to watch some big races. The guys that I know run there a lot are OTR366, DrNitro plus a few other guys on here.

-Jim
kingpissant

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple things i have tried.

tried running with no swaybar. can zip around 180 degree corners but leaves alot to be desired in bumpy and sweeping corners. i personally thing the swaybar for the h8 is to think but not a fan of running with out one. looking for something i can use thats smaller.

i shorted up the rear width from 309 to 308. thinking of trying out 306. the 309 was more planted but the 308 helps whip around corners better.

also couple peopelhit me up on yahoo messanger to talk about hyper 8 set ups. so ever in the need to talk abotu the h8 just give me a holler on yahoo too,.
Russjones42

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i race in arizona, our tracks are not as big as sun valley but larger than revelation, the dirt is pretty similar, we either run crimefighters or komodo 2's i personally think this car prefers the crimefighters because they are a little looser than the k2's.
kingpissant

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im was running crimefighters but now switched to k1's in the front and k2's in the rear. the traction is great and the tires last longer
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Thanks!

I tried to do this same thing a few weeks back (Ultimate Setup Thread - Hyper 8 - http://ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2324)

Just ran another race on Sunday and got a little faster after changing some things on the car and radio.

Diffs are now 5f-7c-1r (f= front, c= center, r= rear)

Tried to adjust the brake bias a little with more rear bias and shorter end point on the braking so the front tires don't lock up while I'm turning (Trail braking).

A buddy I just met noticed that my front sag/droop was way low and that my H8 was bottoming in the front under braking... I dialed in some more preload in the front and a little more in the rear (Blue springs, ~#6 in the front, #3 in the rear [The supplied inserts/collars]). I also changed the shock oil from #250 (Mugen oil) to #35 (Team Associated). I haven't drilled the shock pistons yet, per most people's recommendation.

I also finally mounted up my Panther Komodo IIs onto the Hyper 8 rims w/ green Panther molded inserts. All these changes amounted to a definite improvement.

My buddy, whom was six seconds faster than my fastest lap (I ran a 1:36 flat and he ran a 1:30.2) also suggested that I set my braking up so that I have minimal braking force and the wheels still roll when I apply full brake input. I didnt' do that yet...
Russjones42

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not recommend setting minimal braking force on the car. set the rear brakes so that they lock, then set the front brakes so that they almost lock, too much rear brake and not enough front brake will make the rear end slide inconsistantly, i.e. in a high traction turn it will slide good and in a loose turn you may slide out. if you keep the fronts tight it will not allow the rear end to slide as easily which will force you to slam the car into the corner to get the rear end to brake loose, and it will also allow you to stop fast in a straight line. the stiffer the brakes the later you can brake going into a turn, but the trick is to get the car to brake consistantly and evenly. take a little time to get your bias right and your lap time will definately drop.

on a side note the more you drive the car depending on the track you may find that you may not need to brake in every corner. sometimes its faster to find a good line and let off the gas sooner coming into a turn that doesn't require braking. going into that type of turn too fast and then braking will cause the car to unload the rear suspension throw all the weight on the front and not allow you to carry momentum and flow thru the corner. it could also cause your car to hit some corner bumps with all the load on the front suspension and this will not allow your car handle these bumps properly.

if anyone has any other questions feel free i will try to post answers soon and keep this thread up to date.
mike32

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ brings up some good points. One thing to remember, experiment, experiment, experiment. What works for one doesn't work for the other. I run my brakes around 50/50. I like a lot of front brake. Some guys run a lot of rear. They slide it in and hammer it coming out. Were as i let the buggy roll threw the corners. All my braking is done before I reach the corner and let the buggy roll. I run no drag (brake) on my buggy.

Try to set your brakes up to were you can get a lot of throw from the servo (when you touch your brakes, you don't want them to lock). Use as much of the trigger as you can. This helps when you panic brake.

Braking was the hardest part for me to learn when I started running 1/8 scale. I ran 1/12 scale for years and I don't think I ever used the brakes

Remember, experiment, experiment, experiment.
Nitrohouse

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the BB shocks

My current set up...
7k front, 5k center, 1k rear
65wt with Mugen white spirngs up front
40 wt with Mugen blue springs on the rear
I run 309 for rear width (I try to drive fast around corners and anything less will turn me over), and I have to run front and rear swaybars.
3 degrees of toe in rear, 1.5 degrees of toe out up front (which required drilling out the steering ends a little to allow the turnbuckle to go into them deeper)
I will be running a Picco P7R Evo (modded) with a 2027/ bent manifold, with the Kyosho flywheel and some custom made Mugen type shoes made for the Kyosho (I'm testing them for someone) and the Kyosho bell.
OTR366

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrohouse wrote:

I will be running a Picco P7R Evo (modded) with a 2027/ bent manifold, with the Kyosho flywheel

Nitrohouse- you probably have this well under control but I need to remind you to remove the dust shield from the back of the flywheel. I think Kyosho flywheels have it and because Piccos are known for leaking thru the front bearing you don't want to have that shield.

BTW...nice choice of power plant ma-man!! You should give it a try with a JP-3....HEHEHE

-OTR
Nitrohouse

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTR366 wrote:
Nitrohouse wrote:

I will be running a Picco P7R Evo (modded) with a 2027/ bent manifold, with the Kyosho flywheel

BTW...nice choice of power plant ma-man!! You should give it a try with a JP-3....HEHEHE

-OTR

I have a 3 chamber on it now...tee hee...And if you want to know...ITS SPANKY FAST...
OTR366

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrohouse wrote:
OTR366 wrote:
Nitrohouse wrote:

-OTR

I have a 3 chamber on it now...tee hee...And if you want to know...ITS SPANKY FAST...

Thanks...but I know that already....BAHAHAHA

-OTR
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Russ and others! My thoughts exactly on the braking. That's why I've not tried that guy's recommendation. I like to be able to break traction when I want to. There is one corner on my local track where you want to slide it sideways up the side of a tabletop corner to set it up for the next chicane with a hill in front of it. Hard to describe, but when you slide it right, it is a beautiful and FAST sight!

I hear you on the 50/50 bias comment. I think my driving style would favour something like a ~45/55 or 40/60 bias in regards to F/R brakes.

On a side note, has anyone tried the RMV Speed 3 Clutch?
rabidsquirrel

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I started mirroring my faster friends style of no brakes through some of the corners I've traditionally had problems with at this track, and shed a few seconds on my times. There is definitely something to be said for not unsettling the chassis with a lot of brake input while entering the corners...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OFNA Nitro Talk Back Forum Forum Index -> Hyper 8 & 8.5 Pro & RTR All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: